The Bitter Leaf Soup which originates from the South Eastern part of Nigeria is fast becoming one of the more popular products in the Eazy Naija Food range.
The Bitter Leaf Soup is cooked with proteins and the customary fish condiments and thickened with cocoyam powder. The Easy Naija Foods Bitter Leaf Soup kit has been packaged with all the ingredients pre-prepared and measured for convenience and to ensure that one has the right outcome without mistakes in the measurement of one or more ingredients.
The kit has the directions behind which is basically to fry the soup mix in the palm oil provided and add stock or water and pre-cooked protein (Meat, Fish or Chicken) of choice. You may of course, choose not to add protein and make it a vegetarian meal.
Once ready, eat with your choice of fufu (swallow). The bitter leaf soup can also be eaten with rice for a change or eaten on its own as a soup as part of a keto diet.
Watch the video below to see our bitter leaf soup kit in action.
The attraction of the bitter leaf soup apart from the taste are the health benefits of the bitter leaf. The fresh bitter leaf is used as a medicine for a variety of ailments ranging from tummy upsets, fevers to skin diseases. It is an anti-oxidant and an antiseptic. It also contains chemicals and minerals that help to cleanse the vital organs of the body like the liver and the kidney. The juice is used to regulate blood sugars. The Bitter Leaf in the Soup is very good fibre for internal digestion.
Previously the practice was to thorough wash the leaves to remove all traces of bitterness. However it is now accepted that some of the health benefits are in the ingredient that has the bitter taste so some of that taste is left in the soup.
Directions for cooking the EazyNaijaFoods
- Very lightly season and boil your protein of choice and put aside.
- Pour Palm Oil in another pot and heat for 15 seconds
- Add the Bitter Leaf Soup Mix and stir fry for 1 minute or until the mixture is well mixed.
- Add 75ml of water or stock (to the consistency you want) and bring to boil
- Add your protein
- Turn down the heat and allow the soup simmer for about 10 minutes stirring about once or twice.
- It is ready to eat.
- The soup is best left to settle so the chunks of dry fish and stock fish can fully absorb the flavours of the soup.(see video above for demonstration)
Use coupon code EAZYNAIJAFOODS10 at checkout to get 10% off of your order.